Thursday, March 9, 2017

'Cause You were all I ever longed for

So Precious went and got weight loss surgery. And let the cat out of the bag a mere 10 months later. And admitted she used to eat ice cream when she was sad.

I, who have blasted celebrities before for a lack of honesty, should be jumping up and down with excitement over this development, right?

Not so much.

As I feel she's still holding back.

And while it's great she said had weight loss surgery,. she isn't getting specific about the procedure she had done. Telling the world/media that "she had her stomach cut in half" is not accurate.

No weight loss surgery would leave you with that much of your stomach.

So, the librarian in me is growing angry too, for the lack of accuracy.

I am glad she has gone on record and said it's not the easy way out.

Yet, that's not the focus of the media surrounding her announcement. Her fabulous new life as a thinner person is.

I want to know what made it hard for her. I want to know that I'm not the only freak who had the surgery that ended up with involuntary bulimia.

I want to know what else she ate besides ice cream when she was sad over being bullied.

I want to know how she deals with her emotions now that she can't eat them away.

I want transparency, damn it.

I have yet to read any comments on the articles that are appearing.

Yet, on Facebook, a local radio personality that I admire, who is open about her weight loss surgery, posted about Precious' weight loss surgery.

I read the comments on that post. The first person to comment wrote: "Why so they do it secretly? They should be proud...and set an example! People rally around! We're proud of you for taking the journey AND letting us come along with you!!"

BULLSHIT

People do not rally around you when they find out the "secret" to your weight loss.

The radio personality responded with this "The journey continues Deborah, but I understand the secrecy. Some people view surgery as the easy or lazy way out. Some don't believe in elective surgery. Many will criticize and when you are trying to change your life for the better, its not easy to deal with haters at the same time.

I went against my rule to not potentially post anything that would cause an argument on social media and replied with this "To second what Ramona said, there is such stigma around weight loss surgery. I am open about having it, however, the reactions I get some days make me wish I was not"

Because people do not understand.

I've been asked why I gave up on trying to lose weight the "right way"

I didn't realize that there was one right way to lose weight

I didn't realize that getting myself healthier would have "friends" turn against me for leaving obesity behind

I didn't realize that growing smaller and wearing cute clothes would still cause me to be bullied by grown women in the grocery store

And so on

And it breaks my heart that Precious is saying now she hopes she can find a boyfriend

As when/if she does, then the weight loss surgery will be seen as a true success, not the fact that she is healthier

I'm just mad that this is a headline story at all.

Just like it enraged me when the "curvy" Barbie made the cover of Time magazine

Let's talk about Precious' acting talent, not her new clothing size

Let's talk about Oprah's business skills, not how she lost weight while still eating bread

Let's stop talking about women's bodies and applauding them for weight loss when they can be applauded for so much more

I realize how hypocritical I sound, I, who recently posted progress pictures on social media.

I do it for one reason: accountability

Yes, I like the kudos I get. Can't lie about that.

But knowing that in a year's time, those progress pictures are going to pop up on Timehop helps me stick with my program

As well as the involuntary bulimia, but whatever works.

I am just angrier than I should be over the media attention surrounding this actress.

She came out as having weight loss surgery. She came out as an emotional eater.

That should make me stand up and clap for her, not rage.

And finally reading some of the comments on the articles on Precious does not help, as she is being criticized for having the surgery.

People saying she should have just pushed herself away from the table

People saying she's a hypocrite for having the surgery, as she used to belong to the fat positive movement

People saying that the surgery didn't make her any prettier

I know I should just walk away from this "news" story and try to regain a bit of my sanity, but I cannot.

So much turmoil is being dredged up inside my head. My brain goblins are chattering away on hyperspeed.

What I have to do is remember Who I belong to. Who loved me at my weakest.

And turn to His word.

"You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you." Song of Solomon 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment

(I just came) to say goodbye

It is time to say good-bye to this blog and start anew. My weight loss journey has been well chronicled here, as well as my religious one ...